Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Visitors Bring Wind!!!

(Julie and Lauren enjoying a hearty breakfast under the Hawaiian sun.)

Once again when visitors come to see Julie and I they bring with them strong winds.  Cheers to that:)  I got four days of kiteboarding over this past week!  I'm now able to ride way up wind, keep in relative control in gusty conditions, and jump a bit.  I had a few sessions where I was out on the water for over 1 1/2 hrs.

(Bryon body dragging off the beach while trying to dodge the kayak, windsurf, and kite traffic in Kailua Bay.)

Julie and I also were able to get out Yacht racing on Friday evening in some heavy winds.  It was quite fun, but the boat didn't do to well in the race.  We were actually 4 min late to the start due to a torn jib sail while hoisting.

(Friday night yachting in Honolulu)

Lauren came to visit us for the week, getting in late Saturday evening.  She has been busy exploring the island, relaxing on the beach, and trying to fight off the jet lag.  Lauren also got to experience St. Patrick's Day Hawaiian style, a drunken block party in China town!  It was a bit crazy, even by my standards, so after I had the obligatory Guinness we headed home.  Luckily Julie and I will have some time off later in the week to spend with her.

The exciting news for the week is that Julie is now the official boat painter for the only outrigger canoe manufacturer left in Hawaii.  She started her training tonight.  Stay tuned for updates on this exciting new project.

Sadly I'm still feeling really sick, even though I've been trying to ignore it for some time now.  I also got REALLY sun burned on my face while kiting Sunday.  On top of it all I was helping out a kiter on Sunday, that had no clue what he was doing, and ended up putting a big hole in my foot.  It's healing up well, but hurts like hell and is keeping me off the water, even though the wind is still blowing!

No comments: