Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Mele Kalikimaka (Merry Christmas)



(Julie and I enjoying the holidays on Lanikai Beach.)

It's been another long week in HI.  I worked a ton, at both jobs.  The second Land Rover that I sold last Tuesday actually got returned the next day.  Basically the buyers wife was not happy about a new vehicle purchase just before the holidays.  I've only got one truck sold, but another two lined up for later this week.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I also managed to sneak in a kiteboarding lesson last Thursday evening.  It was fun, but I wasn't on the rite gear and struggled a bit.

Julie had a week full of work and family.  She had her Mom, Dad, and Sister Diana in town.  They are a great family and where tons of fun to have around for the holidays.  There time here has gone by quickly, as they leave on Thursday night.

Christmas in Hawaii has been a very different experience than the normal family gathering.  This is only the second time in my life that I've been away from my family for the holidays, and I miss them dearly.  It has been 75 degrees, sunny, windy, and at times rainy all day.  Aaron, our new roommate, and I went up into the mountains above Kailua and did the Olomana hike.  It is a hike that takes you over 1600 vertical feet, over 6 miles round trip, and over three separate peaks.  It was EXTREMELY muddy, very steep, very exposed, and required anchored ropes at times.  It was a great challenge and a great workout.  Julie spent the day teaching windsurfing in her Santa hat and took her sister for a kayak tour.  The whole lot of us had a cookout at the house in the evening.  Hamburgers on the grill was a first for me as a Christmas meal:)  Julie got a nice road bicycle from Santa (ie: Me).  Julie is buying me a kiteboarding kite, that should arrive late next week.

I really hope that everyone is enjoying the holidays and staying safe.  I miss my family, friends, and the snow.  No winter sports or kayaking is driving me a bit nuts, but hopefully kiteboarding will quench my appetite for adrenaline for a while.

(Aaron , our new roommate, hiking up the second peak with the third peak in the background.)
(This is descending from the third peak, with the second and first peaks in the background.)
(This is from atop the first peak.)
(A classic beach shot down at Lanikai Beach.)

No comments: